This is my version of the swedish kanelbullar, also called cinnamon buns. They are refined sugar free and completely dairy and egg free.
If you try them out, be sure to tag me @vegan.niinja on instagram, facebook or pinterest!
These cinnamon buns are very delicious with a secret ingredient in the filling for that little extra! I honestly cant stop eating them but luckely I made a lot of them!
Enjoy your baking and invite good friends or your family for some good time with your swedish kanlebullar;)
Swedish Kanelbullar or Cinnamon Buns
Makes about 32 cinnamon buns
*you can use the half of the ingredients if you dont want so many.
360 g rolled oats
360 g spelt flour (+more when needed)
42 g fresh yeast or 7 g dry yeast
450 ml oat milk
165 g coconut blossom sugar
1 tbsp organic ceylon cinnamon or cardamom
90 g melted virgin coconut oil or vegan plantbased margarine
150 g virgin coconut oil or vegan plantbased margarine
3 tbsp organic ceylon cinnamon
Optional: shredded zest from 1 orange or 1 grated apple
Glaze: 1/2 cup coconut sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup aquafaba
Frosting: dried baobab fruit blended with coconut oil or water plus vanilla and sweetener when needed (agave syrup or rice syrup)
- Dough: Start with blending the rolled oats until you have a fine flour.
- Heat the oat milk until it is lukewarm, don´t heat it to much.
- Crumble the yeast in some of the lukewarm oat milk and mix in 2 tbsp of the coconut sugar. Mix until well combined. Set aside for some minutes, (5-10 min).
- Melt the coconut oil in a bowl placed over a pan with hot water, add the rest of the oat milk and coconut sugar and add it to the yeast mixture. Mix well and add the cinnamon or cardamom and the oat flour and the spelt flour little by little.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or with your hands for some minutes.
- Set aside for 30-60 minutes on a warm place with a cotton towel over the bowl.
- After 30-60 Minutes take out the dough from the bowl and punch it down on a lightly floured table a few times before rolling it out to a big and not to thick rectangle. If it sticks to much to your fingers add more flour.
- Filling: Mix together the ingredients for the filling until well combined. Be sure the coconut oil is not fluid.
- Spread the filling on the out-rolled dough.
- Roll the dough into a long "sausage" and cut into 32 (or more) rolls. )This is by the way the easiest way to make your cinnamon buns, but feel free to be creative and form them the way you like!)
- Brush with some oatmilk and let sit again for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 200C and bake for about 15-25minutes or until golden brown. When coming out of the oven immediately brush them with the glaze but wait until they cool down before adding the frosting. The frosting is not necessary to add but you can try it out if you like to.
- Invite your family or friends and enjoy!
Hello and welcome to my blog Vegan Niinja. My name is Niina and I am a vegan from Sweden currently living in Austria (all recipes are also in german). I am the recipe creator, food stylist, writer and photographer for Vegan Niinja. All my recipes are easy to make and made with high quality products, 100% vegan, soy and refined sugar free. Read more...
SEACH FOR A RECIPE
VEGAN NIINJA ON FACEBOOK